Date:      Thu, 18 Jul 2002 07:57:12 -0700
From:      "David" <vetter_david@sbcglobal.net>
To:        <bmah@FreeBSD.ORG>, "John Prince" <johnp@lodgenet.com>
Cc:        "John Prince" <johnp@lodgenet.com>, <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ATA-Atapi read_big

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Prince" <johnp@lodgenet.com>

> Hi Bruce..
> Thanks, and yes I saw it..
> The SPLX changes did not help.
> A stable build as of Yesterday
> (approx 9:40 CST) did not change anything.
>
> Thanks.
> --john
>
> At 03:15 PM 7/17/2002 -0700, Bruce A. Mah wrote:
> >If memory serves me right, John Prince wrote:
> >
> > > Not wanting to resurrect a dead horse, and
> > > please do not refer me to the ERATTA page...
> > >
> > > Is anyone else looking/still looking into this problem?
> > > Is Soren back yet?
> >
> >Did you see this patch posted to stable@?

> >It was committed three days ago as rev. 1.46.2.14 of
> >src/sys/dev/ata/atapi-all.c.  Does a more recent 4-STABLE build work
> >for you now?
> >
> >Bruce.

I saw the same thing on my K6-2 300 machine.  However, I added the following
to /boot/loader.conf and the errors went away immediatly.

hw.ata.ata_dma="1"
hw.ata.atapi_dma="1"

I hadn't even realized that the on-board IDE supported DMA unitl after I
upgraded to a post 4.6 kernel and saw the drives were being accessed in
ATA33 mode.

David