Date:      Wed, 07 May 2008 13:43:13 -0700
From:      Mike Bowie <mbowie@buzmo.com>
To:        rick-freebsd@kiwi-computer.com
Cc:        Jonathan Chen <jonc@chen.org.nz>, freebsd-eclipse@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: java/eclipse update?

Rick C. Petty wrote:
> On Wed, May 07, 2008 at 11:59:16AM -0700, Mike Bowie wrote:
>
>>> After seeing some progress on the 3.3.2 port the past few months, I
>>> was hoping that someone would commit it to java/eclipse-devel, or
>>> even java/eclipse. Any possibility of that happening?
>>>
>> Of course, I'd be happy to jump on Jonathan's bandwagon here.
>>
>> While I hope not to hi-jack the primary message here, I do know that one
>> of the issues previously raised with bumping java/eclipse was that of
>> the port plugin dependencies.  While this may be a foolish question to
>> ask, for the most part, is there really a need for all these plugins to
>> be available as ports?  The Eclipse update mechanism serves me well for
>> all the plugins I currently use and from what I can see at a glance,
>>

> That has not been true in the past.  I've had troubles with the update
> mechanisms for eclipse as new as 3.2.1.

Have the update issues been show-stoppers in terms of "ultimately
without resolution"?  I guess more to the point, are they issues that
maintaining a port would resolve?
>> Having the ports there may offer a port lover a quick way to get their
>> Eclipse install kitted out, but the list is certainly minor compared
>> with the list of plugin's out there; which I'd imagine would lead most
>> users to use the update mechanism anyway... and should the user choose
>> to update their plugins, the installed port becomes somewhat unnecessary.
>>

> True.  If there's ports which just install the plugin (no patches, no
> special code, etc.), they should be removed...  so long as the plugin
> architecture works for that version of eclipse.  There are added benefits
> that you can get the proper plugins for each version of eclipse, as opposed
> to having one eclipse-cdt port for java/eclipse and another for
> java/eclipse-devel, etc.
>

>> I certainly don't wish this to be perceived as a lack of thanks for the
>> porters out there; I'd just like to see java/eclipse closer to the
>> current release... not just now, but as we move forward also.
>>

> Whatever anybody does, pleasp please *please* keep eclipse-3.2.1 around as
> a possible port.  There are so many annoying UI changes in 3.3 that are
> driving me insane.  For example, when refactoring the default is to
> highlight the word or phrase and let the editor change the name.  This
> doesn't work well with the viPlugin.  I'd much rather have the window popup
> and ask, as 3.2.1 does.
>
> My suggestion is to keep a java/eclipse321 or java/eclipse32 around which
> is the current java/eclipse.
>
> -- Rick C. Petty

I think that would be a smart move... at least for a minor version or
two back.  The goal being maximum usability, an end to which I think
this makes sense.

Interesting "New Zealand connection" trifecta we seem to have so far...
Jon looks to be *in* NZ, I'm *from* NZ and Rick's "kiwi-computer.com"
rounds it out.  (Although who's to say if there's a really connection
there, besides the name of our native flightless bird.)

Cheers,

Mike.