Date:      Sat, 15 May 1999 15:11:52 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        "David Schwartz" <davids@webmaster.com>
Cc:        "Chuck Robey" <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>, "Studded" <Studded@gorean.org>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/pci pcisupport.c

>> > As a matter of fact, yes we are. All of our coding work is volunteer.
>
>> Oh, yeah?  And do you force your developers to code what the
>> non-develoers want?  How do you force them?  Developers here do what
>> they want to do.
>
>	It's funny, you seem to think it's impossible to make volunteers do what
>the thing they're volunteering for wants them to do. The Red Cross has no
>problem doing it. It's not nearly as difficult as you might think.
>
>	You just have to manipulate the right carrots and the right sticks. It's
>really that simple. I've managed some pretty large volunteer projects. It's
>not easy, but it's not impossible either.

   Chuck is more right. While we do have some influence, people still work
on whatever they want. Things are a bit more difficult in a free software
project since the programming is often highly specialized. It's not the same
thing as being part of the envelop stuffing team at e.g. the Red Cross.

-DG

David Greenman
Co-founder/Principal Architect, The FreeBSD Project - http://www.freebsd.org