Date:      Mon, 11 Mar 2002 11:56:07 -0500
From:      Carl Tucker <cft@panix.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HIERARCHY BATTLE: Beat the shit out of the rest!

On Mon, Mar 11, 2002 at 04:16:04PM +0100, J. S. wrote:

> I must also ask those who already are satisfied with their
> personal hierarchy to please contribute with their setup and
> show us newbies how it's done. Even if it means publishing your
> creativity in favor of others.

Actually, I like the one published in hier(7). As long as
programs stick to it, that is. FreeBSD has been best in this
regard, in my experience.

I like it so much, under $HOME, I have src, pub, doc, tmp, www,
bin, and etc. The $HOME/src and $HOME/www directories are actually
checked out of my CVS repository.

A couple of nonstandard ones I have are $HOME/tar for all the
tarballs I download that I don't want to get rid of for some
reason, and $HOME/arch for stuff I don't think I'll ever need
again, but am afraid to throw away until I haven't needed them
again for a long, long time.

--
Carl Tucker
cft@panix.com