Date:      Fri, 30 Nov 2001 16:28:37 +1000
From:      Greg Black <gjb@gbch.net>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Panic at start of install 4.4-R

I have been given a few days to try to get FreeBSD-4.4-Release
running on a notebook about which I know almost nothing beyond
the fact that it's brand new, branded "Highlander", has a
Celeron-900, 256M, 20G, and W-ME is running on it.

It boots from either of the Release CDs or from floppies.  I've
tried disabling everything that's not obviously needed at the
sysinstall config screen (and I've tried it as it comes).  In
every case, after sysinstall continues the boot, it panics.

I have no way of going back before the panic messages, but the
final stuff on the screen (typed by hand) is:

------------------------------cut here------------------------------
pci0: <unknown card> (vendor=0x1039, dev=0x7018) at 1.4
pci0: <unknown card> (vendor=0x1039, dev=0x7013) at 1.6 irq 11
pcib2: <PCI to PCI bridge (vendor=1039 device=0001)> at device 2.0 on pci0
pci1: <PCI bus> pcib2
pci1: <SiS model 6300 VGA-compatible display device> at 0.0
pci_cfgintr_virgin: using routable interrupt 10

fault virtual address   = 0xeb9b6
fault code              = supervisor read, page not present
instruction pointer     = 0x8:0xc00eb8b1
stack pointer           = 0x10:0xc06b8d6c
frame pointer           = 0x10:0xc06b8d6c
code segment            = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
                        = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags        = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
current process         = 0 (swapper)
interrupt mask          = net tty bio cam
trap number             = 12
panic: page fault
Uptime: 0s
Automatic reboot in 15 seconds - press a key on the console to abort