Date:      Thu, 6 Feb 1997 10:12:18 +0200 (EET)
From:      Andrew Stesin <stesin@gu.net>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Strange(!!) sio callin/callout behaviour in 2.1.6

Hello Bruce,

On Thu, 6 Feb 1997, Bruce Evans wrote:

> >1. pppd never seems to receive/handle a SIGHUP from modem.
>
> Perhaps the modem never hangs up.

	Can't be an issue. Tried several modems, all with
	"DCD normal" option turned on (&C1). Other modem's
	settings also seem to be appropriate.

> This means that something has /dev/ttyd5 open.  Perhaps getty succeeds
> in opening a few microseconds after pppd closes /dev/cuaa5.

	No pppd in the above example...

	Now after a clean reboot, with a modem but no getty:

# stty -a -f /dev/cuaa1
[... works ...]
# stty -a -f /dev/ttyd1
[... works ...]
# stty -a -f /dev/cuaa1
[... works ...]
# stty -a -f /dev/ttyd1
[... works ...]

	Ok. Now adding getty with :hc: in the gettytab entry for
	this line:

# vi /etc/ttys
[... off -> on ...]
# kill -1 1
[... DTR LED now is "on" at the modem...]
# stty -a -f /dev/cuaa1
[... works ...]
# stty -a -f /dev/ttyd1
[... works ...]
# stty -a -f /dev/cuaa1
stty: /dev/cuaa1: Device busy
[... several attempts within a few minutes, with the same effect ...]
# stty -a -f /dev/ttyd1
[... still works! ...]

	Ok, let's turn getty off back again...

# vi /etc/ttys
[... on->off ...]
# kill -1 1
[... wonder!!! DTR LED on the modem is still on!
     Hey I didn't launch anything but the poor getty!!! ...]
# ps auwx|less
[... thorough investigation of processes -- shows nothing
     neither on ttyd1 nor on cuaa1 ports. =8-?????? ...]
# cu -l /dev/cuaa1 -s 57600
cu: /dev/cuaa1: Line in use
# cu -l /dev/ttyd1  -s 57600
cu: open (/dev/ttyd1): Permission denied
cu:  /dev/ttyd1: Line in use
# id
uid=0(root) gid=0(wheel) [...blah-blah...]

	Ok, powercycle the modem. DTR LED is on back again!
	And still no processes seen...

> getty sleeps until carrier is present,

	Never was in the example above. (BTW: does sio.c pay
	any attention to other modem control lines? DSR i.e.?)

> but no longer, so if the port is shared between
> a getty and a dialout program like pppd

	Plain stty -a -f ... no dialout.

> and the dialout program closes
> the dialout port before carrier drops, then the getty will grab the port.
> HUPCL on the dialout port

	Present

> and a sufficiently large dtrwait should prevent

	dtrwait is 400

> this from happening if the modem responds to DTR dropping sufficent quickly.

	yes it does (this is Motorola Premier 33.6, nice beast)

--
		Best,
			Andrew Stesin

		nic-hdl: ST73-RIPE