Date:      Thu, 25 Oct 2001 09:24:25 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        Juha Saarinen <juha@saarinen.org>
Cc:        David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>, Anatoliy Dmytriyev <tolid@plab.ku.dk>, "freebsd-stable@freebsd.org" <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: UFS_DIRHASH - your opinion

On Thu, 25 Oct 2001, Juha Saarinen wrote:

> On Wed, 24 Oct 2001, Chris Dillon wrote:
>
> > No, it could in fact hurt performance, if I understand correctly.
> > Squid is smart enough to spread the thousands or millions of files it
> > keeps under lots and lots of sub-directories.  Each individual
> > directory shouldn't have more than about 255 entries if you set things
> > up right.  Besides, even if Squid didn't spread things out, it doesn't
> > need to get a listing of all the files in a directory (except in the
> > event of a dirty cache that needs to be rebuilt) since it keeps its
> > own metadata.
>
> Thanks. Are there any good hints and tips for running Squid under
> FreeBSD?  On Linux, a file system like ReiserFS is supposedly the
> best, as it's good with lots of little files.

I'm not sure that ReiserFS would really be any better than
UFS+softupdates in this case.

This is generally the case no matter what OS you use, but try to
spread your cache directories out on their own filesystems, each on
its own physical disk.  As of Squid 2.4, use diskd as the cachedir
type.  On large cache filesystems, you may actually want to decrease
the number of inodes available on the filesystem, and follow the
tuning guidelines in the tuning(7) manpage.  I've got 7GB filesystems
spread across four disks for my Squid cache, and each is only using
25% of the inodes available.  Using half the inodes would have worked
in my case and still have plenty of room to breathe.  Mount them
noatime, too.

--
 Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
 FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet