Date:      Wed, 28 Feb 2001 14:27:36 -0800
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        Sassinak <stable@sassinak.net>
Cc:        Dave Cantrell <phaedrus@alltel.net>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: being FreeBSD-stable

--BXVAT5kNtrzKuDFl

On Wed, Feb 28, 2001 at 05:16:34PM -0500, Sassinak wrote:
>=20
> (this may not make it to the list due to my borked reverse... if so would
> one of you copy it to list for me?  Thanks)
>=20
> This thread brings up something that I've been pondering for a while.  I'm
> pretty new to fbsd, only installed it in October, but I read voraciously
> so I'm doing okay.  Anyway, I've been through the entire handbook twice
> and some parts way more times and the most (by far) confusing bit is the
> cvsup/ compile kernel sections.
>=20
> Anyway, I've been thinking of re-writing those sections except for one
> thing.  I can't get a straight answer out of anyone.  So... list... is
> there someone out there who can give the definitive answer on the correct
> steps?  Like (for example) after you compile the kernel do you reboot
> before make installworld?  I personally don't... some people swear that
> you must... who has the right answers?
>=20
> So... here's the challenge... agree on the 'one true way to cvsup, and the
> one true way to (re)compile a kernel and I'll edit the handbook bits to
> say that... any takers?

That won't happen.  It's too much of a bikeshed.  The latest
/usr/src/UPDATING is probably the closest to official you're going to
get.  There's certaintly some disagreement (not from me) about the exact
set of steps, but by virtue of doing the work Warner has set the
standard.  Updating the handbook to reflect this would be a great
service.  If you have any questions about that process, you should ask
on -doc.

-- Brooks

--=20

--BXVAT5kNtrzKuDFl