Date:      Tue, 06 May 1997 23:51:51 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        jbryant@tfs.net
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: One last call for a show of hands on the ALPHA port...

> i concur, the real key to success with alpha is going to be in the
> compiler though...  nobody is going to switch from DEC Unix [bad as it
> is] unless they have a good vectorizing, pipeline-scheduleing,
> multi-cpu capable compiler...

I've been working this issue in parallel since November with John
"Maddog" Hall.  I'm very much aware of the compiler issues and hope to
run both tracks (compiler improvement and ALPHA port) in parallel with
the aid of some Linux folks.  Finally an area where we can genuinely
work cooperatively. ;-)

					Jordan