Date:      Mon, 20 Mar 2000 23:51:03 -0600
From:      James <mlistbsd@icorp.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   tar i/o errors

I'm running a Seagate/Archive 4mm dat drive and recently I've started
getting input/output errors when trying to do a backup (using tar).

I've inserted cleaning tapes several times and this doesn't seem to
help.  I even purchased a brand new tape (though the existing tapes are
all relatively new) and it still hasn't helped.

1.  Any ideas what is wrong?  Someone suggestion the heads needed to be
demagnetized but I've also heard that this is probably not necessary - I
can't find any tools to address the situation other than a cleaning
tape, and the drive is NOT used very much.

2.  Is there a way to force tar to continue even if it encouters an
error?  Right now it aborts the backup entirely - it would be nice at
least if it could continue provided there wasn't some sort of cascade
failure.  Every time I run the backup, it stops at a different point.  I
know this can be done during restore/reading with the --ignore... option
but what about writing?

3.  Is there any alternative software which is more reliable or has more
comprehensive error checking?  And is just as easy to use as tar in
doing restores?  I like using tar with z compression best - but the
drive so can't seem to perform a reliable backup and it's driving me
crazy.