Date:      Tue, 25 Jan 2005 19:17:45 +1100
From:      Andrew Reilly <andrew-freebsd@areilly.bpc-users.org>
To:        Justin Walker <justin@mac.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Architecture <freebsd-arch@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Continuation of the Mach Microkernel

On Mon, Jan 24, 2005 at 08:46:28PM -0800, Justin Walker wrote:

> On Jan 24, 2005, at 19:50, Andrew Reilly wrote:
>
> >On Fri, Jan 21, 2005 at 04:51:51PM -0500, Nicholas Ink wrote:
> >>	Has anyone tried running the Mach microkernel with a new version of
> >>FreeBSD, like 5.x?  I'm working on a project involving that
> >>microkernel, but I'm concerned that it won't work with newer versions
> >>of FreeBSD.
> >>	Does anyone know anything or know of any resources that might assist
> >>me?
> >
> >How about the Darwin codebase?  They recently upgraded their
> >user-land to FreeBSD 5.something, I believe.
>
> Nope.  The Darwin kernel uses some updates from FreeBSD 4.x, not 5.x.

I specified user-land, but the web pages on developer.apple.com
indicate that synchronization-with and tracking of
FreeBSD-stable is ongoing work.  -stable now refers to 5.x, and
I can't imagine them not wanting to incorporate some of the 5.x
fine-grain locking work as it settles down.  After all, there
are plenty of multi-processor Mac boxes out there.

> It isn't a wholesale import of FreeBSD, though.  The device driver
> model is completely different, as is the interface between the network
> stacks and the devices.

True.

> Also, just to be clear, Darwin doesn't use Mach as a microkernel.  The
> implementation is more like Mach 2.x than Mac 3.x (even though the Mach
> bits are based on Mach 3.x): there is no support for running "guest
> OSs" in Darwin.

I've often been puzzled why anyone using the Mach +
BSD-single-server combination bothered with the "microkernel"
moniker.  Where's the win, there?  Surely if you want a
microkernel, then you look towards QNX, Hurd, Amoeba, L4 et al.
Since FreeBSD was mentioned in the single-server context, I
assumed that microkernel-ness wasn't important.  I am interested
in these issues, but haven't had the time or opportunity to
investigate them myself, yet.

Cheers,

--
Andrew