Date:      Mon, 12 Sep 2016 11:04:26 +0800
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        "freebsd-ipfw@freebsd.org" <Freebsd-ipfw@freebsd.org>
Subject:   ipfw table expiry.. how to do it..?

Unfortunately we don't have any timers on table entries, so it's not
possible to see how long an entry has been in use, or idle.

If I were to ha ve a captive portal, which placed the address of
'allowed' hosts into a table, we would have no way to time them out
when they go idle. The omly thing you can do is throw away all the
entries at some time, and force them to all log in again.

Does anyone have any patches to add "access time" to table entries?

I'm guessing the way it would need to be done now would be to use
dynamic rules and having the syn packet of every tcp session sent to
the portal for approval, before being passed back to create the
dynamic rule.