Date:      Fri, 7 Aug 1998 17:58:53 +1000 (EST)
From:      John Birrell  <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
To:        tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        jb@cimlogic.com.au, mike@smith.net.au, tlambert@primenet.com, Nicolas.Souchu@prism.uvsq.fr, chuckr@Glue.umd.edu, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: C and static initialization with unions

Terry Lambert wrote:
> I am sorry.  I vehemently disagree with the GPL as a political tool.
> I will not port GCC to a new platform.

I don't like the GPL either, so I'll never vote for it if it stands for
election 8-). To me gcc is not the poison it is to you. To me it is like
public transportation - I prefer not to use it because other modes are
more fun, but if it is expedient for me to do so, then I will. What I
don't like is people pushing K&R on me for reasons that never seem to
eventuate. Where are these people who will need K&R so much that providing
it will make the FreeBSD world a better place?!

> I also believe that having to port the compiler is a ridiculous barrier
> to entry, and one of the reasons FreeBSD ports are not more prevalent.

Crap. FreeBSD ports are not more prevalent because some people spend more
time doing the yadda yadda than actually getting off their butts and
doing something to contribute.

--
John Birrell - jb@cimlogic.com.au; jb@freebsd.org http://www.cimlogic.com.au/
CIMlogic Pty Ltd, GPO Box 117A, Melbourne Vic 3001, Australia +61 418 353 137