Date:      Thu, 8 May 1997 09:20:33 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Bryce Newall <data@ds9.abac.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions List <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Regular daily crashes

Greetings!

I've recently converted from Linux over to FreeBSD, and for the most part,
I'm quite impressed with FreeBSD.  However, I have run into a bit of a
problem.

For the past 2 days, my system has managed to crash at almost exactly the
same time... 6:34 PM.  There has been nothing in the log files to indicate
a problem just before the crash; it would just up and lock up on me.  From
the console, I could type and the letters would echo back at me, but the
system wouldn't do anything with them.  Even pressing ctrl-C wold just
print ^C on the screen.  Ctrl-Alt-Del would do nothing; I had to hit the
RESET button to reboot the system.  I've checked for bogus cron job
entries (I had that problem under Linux once), and have checked the log
files... nothing.  I'm wondering if anyone can tell me what else to look
for, if you've even heard of something like this happening before.

On a different note, I'm also looking for a good program (or at least a
program, at any rate :)  ) for my UPS.  I have an APC BackUPS 600 with a
special cable, which I had all configured under Linux with a program
called genpowerd.  However, genpowerd will not compile under FreeBSD (it
was designed specifically for Linux), and I need to find something for it.
Basically, it just initiated a 5-minute auto shutdown if the power went ou
(the time was configurable).  Anyone know where I can find that?  I've
looked all through the ports and on the web site and have not found a
thing.  Thanks much!

*     Bryce Newall    *    IRC: Data    *    Email: data@dal.net     *
*  WWW: http://voyager.abac.com/data  *  IRC Admin, voyager.dal.net  *
*        --== Try DALnet!  Server irc.dal.net, port 7000 ==--        *
*               "Stop smirking, Number 1."  -- J.L. Picard           *
*          "I'm a doctor, not a doorstop!"  -- EMH Program, ST:FC    *