Date:      Wed, 26 Dec 2001 11:29:16 -0800
From:      "Crist J . Clark" <cristjc@earthlink.net>
To:        Brian Behlendorf <brian@hyperreal.org>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make buildkernel fails on behalf of config version

On Wed, Dec 26, 2001 at 11:03:54AM -0800, Brian Behlendorf wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Dec 2001, Crist J. Clark wrote:
> > It is true. Don't run a kernel and world that were not built with
> > the same set of source code.
>
> *shrug* OK.  I guess somewhere along the way I picked up that it was
> possible by design and intent (and thanks to some serious effort) to
> upgrade from sources and install a new kernel without having to upgrade
> world.  It's never caused me a problem, and I had assumed that kernel API
> changes relevant to userland were documented in UPDATING since I saw some
> messages like that there, e.g., 20010814.

Nope, minor tweaks are made all of the time. Besides the 20011102
entry, there have been frequent changes to ipfw(8) that require world
and kernel to be in sync.

> It's an awfully useful
> convention, since it takes a lot longer to compile world than the kernel,
> and if one runs a fairly locked-down site with just a few services
> exposed,

A system like this should only be updated when it essential. SAs
usually contain explicit directions on how to fix those kinds of
issues.

I don't really see many circumstances where it one would be wanting to
make a kernel from newer source, but would not also want to update
world. If you want to change the kernel configuration, use the same
source the world was built with instead of newer source.

> I do wonder why, if one should never build them
> separately, they are separate make targets in the upgrade docs?

You do not always need to rebuild world when you modify your
kernel. As I said above, you only need to concern yourself with
syncing world and kernel when you update the source code.
--
"It's always funny until someone gets hurt. Then it's hilarious."