Date:      Sat, 13 Apr 1996 17:30:24 +0200
From:      Andreas Klemm <andreas@knobel.gun.de>
To:        barth@di.epfl.ch
Cc:        current@freebsd.org, hackers@freesbd.org
Subject:   fvwm95 & taskbar are great, some suggestions

Hi David !

I have made a port of fvwm95 for the FreeBSD ports collection.
It looks really great. The taskbar works superior.

I'd like to have some additional features (if your time permits ;-)

It would be fine, if the Mail icon in the taskbar would change
if new mail arrives. The beeping should be optional. The nice
fvwm config module could perhaps get a section to toggle that.

On my first port attempt the mail icon doesn't appear in the
TaskBar here, because FreeBSD and some other operating Systems
have the mail spool dir in /var/mail. Perhaps you could add
here some ifdefs ?!
#if defined(__FreeBSD__) || defined(__NetBSD__) || defined(__OpenBSD__)
# define ....
#else
# define
#endif

It would be great to add an internet push button on the taskbar, to
have the possibility to switch internet access off or on.

My home FreeBSD System permits on demand dialup PPP. But I don't
want to have it on by default and all the time.

Therefore I made some shellscripts to turn internet on or off.
internet on for example starts ppp (ppp -auto ondemand),
starts the harvest cached WWW object cache as proxy server
and initiates a uucp conection over TCP/IP to my internet service
provider. internet 'off' stops the ppp process.

But this works only as root. It would by fine, if one could
get such a push button that calls a shellscript that really
runs suid root, which makes actually a setuid(0) call and
then calls the script. Otherwise it fails. To make only the
shellscript suid root by a chmod 4755 isn't sufficient.

If one could configure the pushbutton in .fvwm2rc95 to
call a shellscript under uid(0) it would be great ...
but I think this might get a potential security whole, since
then fvwm would need to run suid root ?! Or .... ????

I tried to solve this myself by simply defining a new pushbutton
which calls my shellscript 'internet' with the option switch...
But it fails, since I'm not really allowed to call a suid root
shellscript... (per definition)...

I tried a hack, to call a program that does a suid(0) call first
and then the internet script ... but I haven't enough programming
praxis to make it running perfectly ... Do you have any interest
to think about a solution to
- turn on or off on demand dialup IP via push button in the TaskBar
- to implement an activity LED into taskbar for outgoing lines ?
   That would be really a must, if I'm going to use an ISDN
  card, which is build in into the computer and where you don't
  have a good control about the fact if the card produces online
  costs or not ...
- another good superior idea would be an online phone cost
   counter for slip, ppp or ISDN devices ....

One should talk with each otherm if such a feature would be
the effort worth ... and perhaps what the OS already could
or should provide, to make this task easier for people like
you who implement graphical user interfaces ...

I'd like to have more comfortable control about my online
costs ... Would that be an interesting feature, that would
be the additional effort worth ... ???

Superior would be any kinf of implementation into the Desktop/
taskbar ... aktivity light, that indicate activation or deactivation
of the ethernet interface ... flashing leds, when there is ethernet
traffic and such ... an running phone cost counter for online time
and such...

Or the possibility to say $100 and not more in a month ....

I write a copy of this to the -current and -hackers mailinglist
for general discussion ...

These are things I badly miss even in commercial OS's.
Windows 95 has a nice feature, that it really shows modem
light activity when you are online ! And if you click on the
LED's in the taskbar you get a Windows, where the incoming
and outgoing traffic is summed up online ... Would be great,
if we (FreeBSD, Linux, NetBSD, OpenBSD) could also do this
and even better !!!

	Andreas ///

--
andreas@knobel.gun.de         /\/\___      Wiechers & Partner