Date:      Sat, 16 Jul 2005 18:38:51 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        cperciva@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org, imachine@toya.net.pl
Subject:   Re: Requests for information/possible donation endpoint.

In message: <42D9A190.5060401@freebsd.org>
            Colin Percival <cperciva@freebsd.org> writes:
: Mateusz Jedrasik wrote:
: > Also, I dont want to sound "linuxy" here, but it could be nice with a way that
: > ata bus drivers could inform userland programs somehow when the tray of a
: > cd/dvd has closed - so it would be possible to automount stuff like cd's upon
: > closure of tray, and perhaphs upon the pressing of the eject button,
: > automatic unmounts if the medium is not currently used by any process.
:
: There is already a mechanism available for doing this: devd.  I don't know if
: the ata drivers send the necessary messages, and I'm pretty sure that there
: isn't anything in userland which listens for those messages; but all of the
: infrastructure is there.

Except that there's no way to know when the tray is closed, except
polling...

Warner