Date:      Tue, 31 Dec 2002 22:08:22 -0500
From:      Bruce Campbell <bruce@engmail.uwaterloo.ca>
To:        Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ata "fallback to PIO mode" on dual processor AMD systems

Curiously, the 4 Intel systems that are working without problems
are UDMA33:

atapci0: <SiS 5591 ATA33 controller> port 0xb800-0xb80f at device 2.5 on pci0

while the problematic AMD systems are UDMA100:

atapci0: <AMD 768 ATA100 controller> port 0xb800-0xb80f at device 7.1 on pci0

The removeable drive bays use a short piece of 80 conductor cable to go
from a large centronics type connector to the drive.  Maybe it is
a stub matching problem.  The boxes that these enclosures came in
had a sticker which said "UDMA33/66/100" but under the sticker it
just said "UDMA33/66".  Maybe I was ripped off.

--
Bruce Campbell
Engineering Computing