Date:      Mon, 15 Jan 2001 15:55:01 -0500
From:      "Robert Myers" <ccrider@whiterose.net>
To:        "'Ken Seggerman'" <suleyman@echonyc.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: second hard drive fails (to boot)

> I had several OS's, (Windows NT, FreeBSD 4.2, and NetBSD 4.?) on a
> computer with two Western Digital hard drives in a
> multiple-boot situation
> managed by System Commander.
>
> The second drive contained the FreeBSD partition and it no
> longer boots.
> It starts to boot normally then informs me of a HARD DRIVE
> READ ERROR and
> cannot mount the root file system.
>
> I think the drive is spinning, but has bad sectors. I am not sure. It
> shows up as a fraction of its real size in System Commander,
> and as non
> existent when I try to fdsk it from NetBSD.

	Did you try to relabel and such, and use as a data disk? maybe it is just
the first part of the disk that is bad.  More than likely if one part of it
is bad
you can count on the rest following.  Disks are relatively cheap anymore.

> How do I tell if I should throw out the hard drive and
> replace it, or try
> to repartition?

	Well, you could keep it. :)  They make nice conversation pieces with your
friends that don't know anything about computers, you could take it apart.
:)  Up to
you though if you wanna throw it out or not.

Robert Myers
Systems Administrator
http://whiterose.net
(717)439-1478