Date:      Tue, 22 Aug 2000 11:46:10 +0200
From:      "Philipp Reichmuth" <reichmuth@web.de>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   3COM ("ep" ISA PnP detection problem

Hello folks, again.

I'm having a problem with the ep driver in 4.x when used with an ISA 3Com 3C509 EtherLink III-PnP card. The machine is a Pentium 120, now capable of making the world (thanks), on an ASUS P55-TP4XE PnP mainboard.

My 3Com card gets PnP-configured to various IRQs and ports, depending on settings in the BIOS. It is properly detected by the ep driver as well; however, the ep driver detects another "shadow" 3Com EtherLink III at port 0x300-0x30f, IRQ 10 first. It says it's a non-PnP card and tries to configure it for ep0. Since there is no actual card at the address, however, it fails reading the card's EEPROM and MAC address, so it stops bothering with ep0 and configures my actual adapter for ep1.

In itself, this is not so bad, since I know that ep0 points nowhere, while ep1 is my card, but when I try to install a second 3Com adapter of the same type, the driver quite logically detects two additional "shadow" 3Com adapters in addition to the two physically present cards and configures them rather erratically, so that I cannot be quite sure which of the now four ep interfaces is assigned to which adapter and which of the interfaces point to virtual adapters visible only for the driver. Also, if there is a different card (in my case, an SMC EtherExpress) on port 0x300, irq 10 in the machine, the ep interface gets probed first and panics when it tries to configure the hardware it finds at 0x300, again quite logically.

Is there a convenient way to prevent the ep driver from probing at 0x300/irq 10 without hacking around in the sources? Otherwise, I'd classify this behaviour as a bug, but I wanted to check if this is a known problem. In the kernel config, it just says "device ep" - I've made no changes about that. In my current kernel, there's an ed device configured for port 0x300, irq 10 as well (the SMC card), but that doesn't stop the ep driver from probing around on these addresses. Setting "options PNPBIOS" has no effect, either, which isn't that surprising on the other hand, since it's obviously the driver that misbehaves.

Thanks in advance

Philipp