Date:      Tue, 22 Jul 2003 09:22:31 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
To:        drio@perpels.com (David Rio)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RELENG_5 ?

> Hi all:
>
> I have been using FreeBSD in production enviroments so I used FreeBSD 4.7
> and 4.8.
> Now, I have installed FreeBSD 5.1 on my laptop.
> So I decided to keep track of the -RELEASE_5 (STABLE). But It seems that
> there is not such a branch on the repository.
> Reading diferent links at freebsd.org. It seems that there is only two
> branchs for 5.1:
>
> 	-CURRENT
> 	-RELENG_5_1
>
> The first one, I think can be a very agresive for my intentions. The second
> one, instead, will not modify my sources to improve the performace because
> it is a patch branch.
>
> If I am not wrong with this, what will be the reason to install 5.1 instead
> of 4.8?  I mean, 5.1 has more features but a worst performace that 4.8.

You seem to give the answer to this question right within the question.
The reason to run 5.1 is if you want to try out the new features and be
a part of the development in some way.   The reason to stick with 4.8 is
if you want a high performance system/server running right now.  If you
choose 5.1, you will have to be willing to accept its present limited
status.  It seems to be getting close, but it ain't ready to be a
supported "stable branch" yet.  The documentation says this quite clearly.

////jerry