Date:      Thu, 12 Nov 1998 00:05:47 +0200
From:      cpl92@fx.ro
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   sever ide hdd crash (also re:Another instance of the crash I was seeing)

Hi,

I experienced yesterday a sever ide hdd crash. My computer is not
operating these days, so please answer also to this address I'm using
now.

First I want to make a short histiry of this serious ide problem.
One month ago, I was using 2.2.6-RELEASE. Someday, while I was reading
the first FreeBSD CD in WALNUT CREAK distribution set, the ATA CD slow
down, and was acting like having reading trouble from the CD inside
(possible the CD wasn't clean). By chance, I swiched to text connsole
and saw the syslog message repeating many times:(smth like) wd0 i/o
error swiched to 16 bit transfer. I killed the process that was
accessing the ATA CD, and than fsck my wd0 partitions: surprize! the
/usr slice was damaged (I couldn't fix it due to many errors like unref
inode etc.).
One day ago, under the same circumstances (only that the used dist was
2.2.7-RELEASE), while I was looking far a tarball distribution in CD #3
(WALNUT CREAK 2.2.7), I heard the CD slowing down. Knowing what happened
last time, I tried alt+ctrl+F1 to see the syslog mesg. Surprize again:
the computer was not responding to any of the possible commands. I have
waited a couple of minutes (the hdd was not running), then I have pushed
the front pannel reset button. Surprize again: While reseting the
computer I received the BIOS message PRIMARY HDD FAILURE. Since then, my
BIOS says that I don't have a HDD inside (actually I have a Quantum
Fireball UDMA 4.3 Gb). I hope that the vendor will change the damaged
hdd, but I am quite sure that this is a very serious problem in FreeBSD
kernel.

Regards,
Florin Nicolescu