Date:      Sat, 8 Apr 2000 14:31:30 -0700 (PDT)
From:      simon@lok.net
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   kern/17868: no more buffers / can't allocate llinfo when running gated

>Number:         17868
>Category:       kern
>Synopsis:       no more buffers / can't allocate llinfo when running gated
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
This problem occurs when running gated with a full routing table.  After
20 minutes or so, when the routing table is just about done
downloading (75K routes nowadays), the system begins to complain
about "no more buffers."  A few minutes after that, the system
starts complaining "arpresolve: cannot allocate llinfo".  In order to
attempt to fix this, I recompiled the kernel with MAXUSERS 256 and
NMBCLUSTERS 4096.  (The machine has 128 MB of RAM).  That didn't help.
I looked on newsgroups, and there were some other people reporting
this problem, but no solutions.  I am wondering if there is some kind
of hard limit to the size of the routing table or something like that.
>How-To-Repeat:
Setup a machine, compile and install gated.  (www.gated.org).
Set the gated configuration to import all routes... point it at your
upstream (tell them to let you download all routes).  Run gated.
Wait 20 minutes.