Date:      Tue, 7 Jul 1998 19:27:44 +0000
From:      Lee Johnston <ljohnston@cyberworld.demon.co.uk>
To:        Philuint <philuint@erols.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Q:rvplayer5.0 for linux under FreeBSD

On Tue, Jul 07, 1998 at 12:30:57AM -0500, Philuint wrote:
>    Hi.  I downloaded Realplayer5.0 for Linux.
>
>     I've been trying to get it to work under FreeBSD, but have no luck
> so far.
>
>     I get two error messages.  One is "Cannot open audio device" and the
> other one is

Have you made sure that your soundcard is in the kernel and works correctly,
one way to find out if it is in the kernel and loaded is to type
cat /dev/sndstat. This should list all available sound devices.

If you are sure you have added your soundcard lines to the kernel config
file make sure that the devices have been created in /dev. If not
do something like this, cd /dev; ./MAKEDEV snd0.

If you haven't got your soundcard in the kernel config file see the handbook
on how to do it.

Failing these, I've got no idea (has rvplayer got permission to open the
audio devices?).

>      "Server alert: You cannot receive this content. Either your network
> bandwidth is not fast enough to receive this data or your CPU is not
> powerful enough to decode it"

What speed connection have you got defined in RealPlayer 5?

>     I have P-120 with 56k.  I don't think My system isn't good enough.
>
>     Realaudio 3.0 work perfectly with mysystem, though..
>
>    I am not sure...

Hope this helps,

Lee.