Date:      Sat, 26 Oct 2002 15:41:42 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>
To:        Ian Campbell <ian@damnit.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sfbuf problems

On Thu, 24 Oct 2002, Ian Campbell wrote:

>     I tried a hack sendfile replacement with write() and lseek(), just
> to see if that made a difference... but all it did was chew mbufs
> instead of sf_bufs ... How can I tell if I'm just using all available
> buffer space, or if it's just a leak I'm not seeing? How can I increase
> available kvm if it becomes necessary?

Once you shutdown the server, does netstat -na show all the connections
dying off, and does netstat -m show mbuf usage dropping back to normal?
If connections die off properly and the number of mbufs drops back to
normal, then there is probably no leak.

During normal usage, it is entirely possible to max out mbuf usage without
there being a memory leak.

Mike "Silby" Silbersack