Date:      Fri, 3 Nov 1995 11:43:34 -0500
From:      Charles Henrich <henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu>
To:        phk@critter.tfs.com, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RFD: VFS, non-Intel architectures

In lists.freebsd.hackers you write:

>It seems to me that you are attacking the porting owrk from the wrong end.

>Since you quite obviously havn't thought much about how to attack this
>task I volounteer to educate you a bit here:

>I would suggest you start out by (re)reading a couple of the classic
>papers on porting unix to another platform for hints and ideas,
>Bell Labs for instance had a couple of classics that it seems you
>have never understood (assuming you ever actually read them).

>My personal suggestion to you would be:

[clip]

>If I had paid you to port FreeBSD, and you came to me with this "I
>need to fix the VFS" crap, you wouldn't even have had time to print
>your resume before you left.

>I wish I could afford to buy another computer right now, and I would
>love to produce a port before you do.

>I'm sure I could beat you to it, considering that I know nothing
>about the Power, havn't done it before, have a job and a family,
>and don't have to write N*10K emails all the time.

>Come on Terry, show us, prove that you can deliver what your mouth
>keeps babling about, show us a kernel that boots on a Power at Xmas
>and have a complete selfhosted port ready by easter...

Is there any reason for this rediculus, self-serving, childish attack on
someone who has made a very reasonable and pretty well thought out proposal to
clean-up some portions of FreeBSD that very well may need it? Whats the deal? I
for one would *love* to have JFS, and if it is a cleanup of VFS that makes it
happen, again, where is the problem?  I personally do not see why you would fly
off and attack Terry in response to a message calling for discussion (Im
assuming an implied discussion of technical merit) on the topic.  Am I to
assume that any message that attempts to discuss changes in the FreeBSD kernel
will always generate this kind of response?

-Crh
--

    Charles Henrich     Michigan State University     henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu

                     http://rs560.msu.edu/~henrich/