Date:      Thu, 20 Jun 2002 11:41:42 -0700
From:      Orion Hodson <orion@freebsd.org>
To:        Laurent Sansonetti <pinux@arrakis.atlantys.net>
Cc:        Herbert <herbert@bugat.at>, freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Asus L8400 laptop sound support

/-- Laurent Sansonetti wrote:
| I have these lines in my dmesg, one of them is probably the undetected
| sound card:
|
| pci0: <unknown card> (vendor=0x125d, dev=0x1988) at 6.0 irq 10
| pci0: <unknown card> (vendor=0x125d, dev=0x1989) at 6.1 irq 10

The laptop appears to have an ESS Allegro-1.  Even with 'device pcm' in the
kernel config, support for this card is not compiled into the kernel because
it has GPL'd dependencies.  However, the driver can be loaded using:

	kldload snd_maestro3

Or automatically loaded at boot time by adding:

	snd_maestro3_load="YES"

to /boot/loader.conf.

Cheers
- Orion