Date:      Wed, 6 Dec 2017 11:50:39 +0100
From:      Jan Bramkamp <crest@rlwinm.de>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Flavors *COMPLETELY* break the port system (synth and poudriere are useless)

On 05.12.17 10:53, Aryeh Friedman wrote:
> First some background (my typical use cases for ports):
>
> 0. FreeBSD lilith 11.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 11.1-RELEASE #0 r321664: Fri Jul 28
> 23:35:18 EDT 2017     root@lilith:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64
>
> 1. Daily routine (current):
>
>        cd /usr/src
>        svn update (from 11.1-RELEASE)
>        [make -DESTDIR=/ world kernel&&etcupdate&&reboot as needed]
>
>        cd /usr/ports
>        svn update (from HEAD)
>        portmaster -ad
>        [reboot if any Xorg/xfce or stuff in rc.d got modified]
>
> 2. I maintain devel/aegis (which as per Bug 219284 does not compile with
> anything greater then GCC 5 [I don't have time to figure out how to patch
> it is make it work {the upstream maintainer died a few years ago}]).
>
> So what happens when I see UPDATING 20171130:
>
> 1. I decide to try poudriere since it seems to what people are raving
> about.   What a <bleep>'ing confusing mess it is use!!!! After deciding it
> is over kill I go to option 2
>
> 2. I installed synth (2.00) and *ATTEMPTED* to do a upgrade-system with the
> following results (still not a successful run):
>
>      a. Hard freezes the machine (not even a kernel panic) 4 times in a row
>
>      b. Skips devel/aegis recompile because it can't understand the makefile
> or something (see above).  *BUT* gives no clues as to why and gives me
> nothing actionable on how to repair the port

Synth and poudriere are parallel build tools and as such are very taxing
on the system. I suspect your system is unstable under such load,
because of a configuration error or unreliable hardware. One such
configuration error that bit me is tmpfs mounted without size
limitation. Without size limits it can exhaust RAM + swap and crash the
system. Limit the sum of all your tmpfs mounts to significantly less
than RAM + swap.

> 3. The suggestion of using plainly old make install on each port is
> unworkable because it is fundamentally error prone with my daily use case.

Nobody suggested doing that. You're just running abandonware and the
ports tree broke compatiblity that was never promised. Your options are
to move to a supported wrapper around the ports tree or to take up fix
your existing wrapper to deal with the change.

> TL;DR;
> Flavors <bleep>'ed up ports and there are no good ways/alternates for how
> to use the ports collection for normal everyday users/maintainers

For a single system synth works well and is easy to setup. If it crashes
your system something is very wrong indeed. Userspace software shouldn't
be able to crash the system. Especially not by accident. This a bug that
should be fixed.