Date:      Tue, 29 Oct 2002 23:52:56 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Chad David <davidc@issci.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Objective-C threads

Chad David wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 29, 2002 at 07:04:21PM -0800, Terry Lambert wrote:
> > Chad David wrote:
> > > Does anybody know if there is a good reason why libobjc is built with
> > > thr-single.c?
> >
> > Historical threads problems.
>
> A few are obvious from simply reading the code.  Do you have any
> knowledge of specific (non-trivial) problems?

I used Objective C with threads on NeXT machines for a few years;
the FreeBSD threads weren't up to dealing with the requirements if
Objective C, at least until recently (I think some of the changes
that went into the pthreads standard after Draft 4 were specifically
put there to aid static initialization of declared Objective C
objects; they were pushed by people I know to have been NeXTStep
users).

> > > As well, who is the current maintainer of Objective-C?
> >
> > Chad David?
>
> By default, since there seem to be no other users?

I don't really use it.  I like C++, but mostly code in C these
days.  You can basically write object oriented code in any
procedural language which deals with structures the right way.

For example, the Xt toolkit does inheritance in C that supposedly
can't be done, and I personally implemented most of the 1.1 Java
API classes in C++ to support an implementation if the JavaMail
API in C++.

Maybe I'm just old, but I think it's more about programmers than
it is about the languages they use.

So I'm not an Objective C user; unless a port I use happens to
require it to work, and I have to fix it, I don't go out of my
way to code in it, any more than, say, Perl, Java, COBOL, Visual
C++, or BLISS.  8-).

That said, if you want to make it work for you, I'm behind you
100%: I think any changes you want to make are OK; they can
always be backed out, if anyone starts complaining about them
breaking things, so I think it's kind of silly for you to ask
for permission to maintain something no one else is maintaining.

-- Terry