Date:      Wed, 25 Aug 1999 09:56:50 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
Cc:        Dennis <dennis@etinc.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SPARC?

> On Mon, 23 Aug 1999 11:28:20 -0400
>  Dennis <dennis@etinc.com> wrote:
>
>  > I heard a rumor that freebsd runs on a sparc, but I dont see any backing
>  > for that. Is it in the works?
>
> FreeBSD does not run on the SPARC.  I think they've been talking about it
> for ... what, 5 years now... but it never materialized.

Well, the implications of that statement are somewhat inaccurate and
unfair.  We haven't been talking about a SPARC port for 5 years any
more than we've been talking about a pc532 port for 5 years.  Sure,
maybe someone has brought it up from time to time but, to the best of
my knowledge, the only really "serious" inquiries started cropping up
about a year ago when Sun SMC actually wanted to fund a port of
FreeBSD in response to customer demand, but then Sun slammed all of
its various satellite companies together again and SunSoft nixed the
deal as unwonted competition.

Perhaps now that Sun has embraced Linux in a shameless attempt to
catch the open source buzz, we'll be able to revive the project.  I
prodded Scott McNealy a couple of weeks ago about this, and he
responded by putting me in touch with one Marcia Murray from the
developer's organization, I've just been too busy attending
conferences this month to give her a ring.  Thanks for the reminder. :)

- Jordan