Date:      Tue, 24 Oct 2000 09:07:17 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Damieon Stark <visigoth@covertdata.net>
Cc:        Martin Minkus <diskiller@diskiller.net>, freebsd-sparc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Anyone out there ?

Damieon Stark wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 24, 2000 at 07:06:40PM +0930, Martin Minkus wrote:
> > Heeeelllllllloooooooooooo ............
> >
> > *hears echo*
> >
> > Is anyone out there ?
>
>         Yea, there are a few of us hangin around...
> >
> > It also seems the FreeBSD/Sparc port is quite dead ? :(
>
>         It is true that it seems that the port needs a kickstart.  I
> have been holding off for the coupla new suns I am getting, and then
> I plan to attempt to help things move along.
>
>         How many people out there are listening,

Several.  ;^)

> and is there any work being done right now?

Not really.

> Soon now I will be having hardware to assist
> working on the project, but  list (if any) of projects (and don't just
> say everything ;) would be super kewl.  Anybody got anything going on?

The last round of discussion was a) what kind of SPARC systems do we
want to support (the most vocal arguments being only the PCI-based
UltraSPARC machines, but far from consensus) and b) how much code were
we going to get from BSD/OS, which still remains to be seen.

The SPARC port will actually start moving when ONE person who really
wants it steps forward and starts driving things.

I have two years experience writing low-level firmware in SPARC (32-bit)
assembler, and am happy to assist in writing startup code, etc.  I don't
have much time to dedicate, but will help when and where I can.