Date:      Tue, 27 Jul 1999 15:50:25 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "M. L. Dodson" <bdodson@beowulf.utmb.edu>
To:        Guy Middleton <guy@obstruction.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HP Laserjet 2100 printer with ghostscript

Guy Middleton writes:
 > On Tue, Jul 27, 1999 at 04:15:14PM -0400, Guy Middleton wrote:
 > > On Tue, Jul 27, 1999 at 10:21:19AM -0400, M. L. Dodson wrote:
 > > > Guy Middleton writes:
 > > >  > Does anybody have an HP Laserjet 2100 printer working with ghostscript
 > > >  > (I'm using version 5.50, compiled in ports directory)?  The margins appear
 > > >  > to be wrong, using the "ljet4" device.
 > > >  >
 > > >  > If not, does anybody know of a ghostscript mailing list?  I
 > > >  > could not find mention of
 > > >  > one on any of the GS web pages.
 > > >  >

 > > > I've got one going using ljet4.  No apparent problems.  How are
 > > > you diagnosing margin problems?  Maybe I have a problem, but am
 > > > clueless.
 > >
 > > Typically I use mpage to generate a PS file, then pipe it through gs.  mpage
 > > draws boxes around text pages in 4-up format, and the line at the top of the
 > > page is missing.
 >
 > Also, it doesn't make it through a whole PS document.  Halfway through, the printer
 > prints this alone on a page:
 >

 > PCL XL error
 >
 > 	Subsystem:	KERNEL
 >
 > 	Error:		IllegalTag
 >
 > 	Operator:	0x25
 >
 > 	Position:	59456
 >

 > and then stops.

Sounds like ghostscript is not correctly configured if this
_always_ happens.  If it is sporadic, it may be similar to things
I have occasionally observed where the system starts to print
garbage halfway through a page.  I had thought it was due to a
noisy printer cable (although its the best printer cable I've
ever used--I've bought some real el-cheapos in my time ;-)

Also, since I've put the 2100 on, ghostscript seems to suck up a
lot more cpu than I remember it doing in the past (feeding ink
jet printers).  X becomes quite unusable during the print job (no
mouse responsiveness at all, even with gs niced to 15).  I
thought that might be due to the change to ppbus from the old lpt
driver of 2.2.x fame (This is a, not too recent, 3.2-STABLE box).

Does anyone else have comments or insights?

--
M. L. Dodson                                bdodson@scms.utmb.edu
409-772-2178                                FAX: 409-772-1790