Date:      Sat, 17 Apr 1999 01:16:07 -0700
From:      Ludwig Pummer <ludwigp@bigfoot.com>
To:        Jack Freelander <jack@rabbit.eng.miami.edu>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        Jef <jam@winona.cs.miami.edu>, jason@hurricane.cs.miami.edu
Subject:   Re: space missing?

At 10:31 PM 4/16/99 , Jack Freelander wrote:
>I have successfully installed and mounted a new 20.4 gig drive on rabbit.
>It makes sense for it to have 19324342 1K blocks... but why am I missing
>about 2 gigs of space?  Here is the appropriate line from df:
>
>Filesystem  1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
>/dev/wd2s1e  19324342        1 17778394     0%    /space
>
>Should I have used a larger block size perhaps??

That wouldn't have helped this.

When you newfs, 8% of a disk is put aside to 1) help reduce fragmentation
2) give some extra breathing room. Only root processes are allowed to go
into this reserve area. When they do, df shows > 100% capacity.

'man newfs' for changing the set-aside percentage.

--Ludwig Pummer ( ludwigp@bigfoot.com ) ICQ UIN: 692441