Date:      Mon, 1 Jun 1998 15:51:25 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Paul Emerson <paul@gta.com>
To:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ipv6 network addresses

In article <13679.44784.627668.295652@silver.sms.fi> you wrote:
: Matthew N. Dodd writes:
:  > On Fri, 29 May 1998, Jun-ichiro itojun Itoh wrote:
:  > > 	I believe people would like to get rid of NAT when v6 is deployed,
:  > > 	so there will be no private address, I believe...
:  >
:  > For the most part your belief would be correct however in a small number
:  > of cases I find NAT to be highly useful.
:  >
:  > I have a number of machines running at home which are not secured and
:  > should not be reachable via global addresses.  In addition, I keep my
:  > Win95/NT/Netware boxes behind the NAT on general principle.

: Repeat after me: NAT is not reason for not having
: security. Additionally it breaks your IP telephone and other
: bi-directional peer-to-peer applications.

: Pete

Repeat after me: All NAT solutions are not created equal.
You can make an Internet telephone call through NAT/firewall our product.
CU-SeeMe, RealAudio, and the list goes on.

Transparent NAT is not a simple proposition but it can be done.

--
Paul Emerson  (paul@gta.com)
Global Technology Associates, Inc.