Date:      Mon, 26 Feb 2007 15:48:16 +0100
From:      Adriaan de Groot <groot@kde.org>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Hardware supported?

On Monday 26 February 2007 12:11, Fluffles wrote:
> No hardware acceleration and you are bound to the motherboard or similar
> chipset with RAID controller. So if your motherboard dies, you cannot
> just use another motherboard, since this motherboard will likely have
> another chipset which uses another metadata structure. Thus, you will
> have trouble getting your data back if you are unexperienced.

The amusing thing is that even if the MB doesn't recognize the metadata on the
disks (because you've moved the drive to a different machine) the FBSD
ataraid(4) driver still will, so I've had cases of running a degraded ar0
nVidia mediashield raid-1 array on a machine with only a promise and a via
controller :)

--
KDE Quality Team  http://www.englishbreakfastnetwork.org/
GPG: FEA2 A3FE    http://people.fruitsalad.org/adridg/