Date:      Tue, 23 Oct 2001 08:50:41 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Nils Holland <nils@tisys.org>
To:        "Dennis R. Abel" <Dennis@drabel.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Newbie Question

On Mon, 22 Oct 2001, Dennis R. Abel wrote:

> Can I, and if so, exactly how do I configure my httpd.conf to return this
> message when an attempt is made to list a directory:
>
> "Directory Listing Denied
> This Virtual Directory does not allow contents to be listed. "
>
> I would like to avoid having to put an index.html or .htaccess file in
> every  directory.

I don't remember the correct options, but as far as I know, the apache
configuration file is well documented. A small change in there should
allow you to do what you want.

I can't remember how well the configuration file itself is commented, but
have a look at it and you might find something. If not,
http://www.apache.org/ should have what you need (assuming you are using
Apache...)

Greetings
Nils

Nils Holland
Ti Systems - FreeBSD in Tiddische, Germany
http://www.tisys.org * nils@tisys.org