Date:      Mon, 15 Jul 2002 16:00:33 -0300 (ART)
From:      Fernando Gleiser <fgleiser@cactus.fi.uba.ar>
To:        "Balaji, Pavan" <pavan.balaji@intel.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Unable to compile the kernel

On Mon, 15 Jul 2002, Balaji, Pavan wrote:

> > 1. faulty memory
> > 2. faulty cache
> > 3. cooling problems
> > 4. overclocking
> > 5. Bad timing settings in the BIOS
>
> Can I do something about these?

Try combinations of the following:

1. Set the clock speed to ~10% lower.
2. Make sure the cooler is working.
3. Try another DIMM
4. add some silicon paste (I don't know the english name, it is the white
   stuff you put between the device (chip, transistors, SCR, whatever) and
   the heatsink.
5. Change the memory settings in the BIOS to a slower value.

search google for the "gcc signal 11 FAQ" for more ideas

> > How did you add the syscall? Is it a KLD or is it built into
> > the kernel?
> > Did you modify syscalls.master. How did you get the syscall
> > #?. Could you
> > post your syscall code and *any other modifications to the
> > kernel* you made?
>
> I built it into the kernel -- changed the syscalls.master file. The system
> calls are empty functions. No problem with the functions , am able to use
> them from user-level programs. It's just when I modify it for the second
> time (whatever the modification be), that this problem comes up.
>
> How do I use kld to add syscalls dynamically? Can you send me some link or a
> brief how-to. Thanx!

Take a look at http://packetstorm.decepticons.org/papers/unix/bsdkern.htm
it is 1) black-hat oriented and 2) a bit outdated, but it's a very good
tutorial about KLDs in FreeBSD and you shouldn't have problems porting
the examples to 4.X

			Fer