Date:      Mon, 10 Oct 2005 23:52:31 +0300
From:      Panagiotis Astithas <past@ebs.gr>
To:        Yamada Ken Takeshi <ken@tydfam.jp>
Cc:        java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: INFO) eclipse 3.1.1 & jdk1.5.0p2

Yamada Ken Takeshi wrote:
>   Sorry, it may be too ahead of your scope, but I
> had the following error just for your information.
>   It does not occur with jdk1.4.2, but with jdk1.5.0.
>
> hs_err_pid follows;
>
> #
> # An unexpected error has been detected by HotSpot Virtual Machine:
> #
> #  SIGSEGV (0xb) at pc=0x4b755059, pid=34947, tid=0x8060000
> #
> # Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM (1.5.0-p2-ken_08_oct_2005_16_58 mixed mode)
> # Problematic frame:
> # j  org.eclipse.swt.internal.gnome.GNOME._dlopen([BI)I+0

It seems that Eclipse tries to dlopen() libgnomevfs and gets a SIGSEGV.
Could you let us know what is the version of Gnome that you use? I
wonder why you have this library in /usr/local/lib/compat.

I also wonder whether you are running out of heap space. You seem to
have almost maxed out the Permanent Generation space, which might be
relevant, I'm not sure. Could you try doubling the initial value for -Xmx?

Does this crash occur if you use the client VM?

Also, when the crash occurs, what exactly were you doing with Eclipse?
Was it just starting up? Do you have lots of plugins loaded?

Also, just for kicks, could you try using the default Gnome theme, if
you aren't already?

Cheers,

Panagiotis