Date:      Sat, 01 Jan 2005 03:05:49 +0000
From:      jason henson <jason@ec.rr.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: xorg/dri-6.2_1,2 upgrade problems

On 12/30/04 22:18:32, Ned Harrison wrote:
> The upgrade to 5.3 fixed the Dri build problems.  Thanks for the =20
> hint, Jason.  It is much appreciated.  I had to run xorgconfig to =20
> make a new config file in order to get the X server going again.  My =20
> kde desktop keeps crashing but the Windowmaker desktop I installed =20
> runs.  It doesn't run perfectly but at least I know X works.    I =20
> will try using the force switch on portupdate to redo those ports I =20
> originally I upgraded in 5.2.    As for your p pro question.  It must =20
> be a default in some makefile.  I'm too much of a newbie to even know =20
> what p pro is. :-)
> Sorry about not including the prior message.  But I'm still working =20
> off a Knoppix disk.
> Thanks
> Ned
>=20
>=20

Your'e welcome.

I think you have somethings not fully upgraded to have some of those =20
problems.  I hear it is kind of a comman problem with big ports like =20
kde for some of the dependancies not to be built.  Portmanager is a new =20
program I have found and like it.  It is not as full featured as =20
portupgrade, but it is nice.  Install it, it is a very quick compile, =20
less than a min.  Then run "portmanager -s | grep OLD" as root.  It =20
will tell you everything that is out of date, be sure to cvsup ports =20
and "cd /usr/ports && make fetchindex" first.

Did you rebuild x after you update to 5.3?  You will need to.  Try =20
portupgrade -fRr xorg.

If you want to optimize you programs have a look at /etc/make.conf.  =20
You can check out /usr/share/example/make.conf first.  The p pro stands =20
for pentium pro.  It is very old, pre pII.  It is also a default =20
setting to optimise for that can help most modern x86 processors.  If =20
you want to set some make options here is mine, note you may need to =20
change the processor type.

CPUTYPE=3Dathlon-xp=09
CFLAGS=3D  -O2 -pipe -fschedule-insns2 -fomit-frame-pointer
-funroll-loops	=09
COPTFLAGES=3D-O2 -pipe -funroll-loops -fschedule-insns2