Date:      Mon, 15 Mar 1999 23:14:38 -0800
From:      charon@freethought.org
To:        mbermal@ucsd.edu, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CTM?!? Deltas?

At 04:46 PM 3/14/99 -0800, Mark Bermal wrote:
>My next problem is that I want to track -stable, and I understand
>that CTM is the best way if one is on a low bandwidth connect. I've read
>through the handbook on CTM, but I still don't get how this works. I went
>to look for a base delta, but I couldn't find it at
>ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/development/CTM. I didn't see any tarballs
>with the X denoting a base delta. Also, once I get the delta, how do I
>have ctm update my tree?

I'm hardly an expert on this subject, but I think I've worked it out
somewhat.  First off, the two main references you'll need are
http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/handbook272.html#ctm and
http://www.nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk/FreeBSD/make-world/make-world.html
as I'm sure you already know.  Contrary to what the handbook says, the base
delta does not have "XEmpty" or anything like that - it's just called
src-3.0001.gz and is around 47 MB.  Download all the src-3* files and put
them into a directory (for the sake of example I'll call it /usr/CTM).
Then you need to extract the deltas.  There's some debate as to where
exactly one should extract them to.  What I did was just create a directory
called /usr/3-STABLE/src.  Then you

cd /usr/3-STABLE/src
ctm -v /usr/CTM/3*

Once that's done, you should have a source tree.  You then follow the
documentation on how to make world to rebuild your system.  I later deleted
/usr/src and moved the new tree from /usr/3-STABLE/src/ to /usr/src, which
is unnecessarily complicated and silly, but it was the first time I'd ever
done this  :)

Another thing you might want to do is search the mail archives on this
topic (a search of the -stable list for 'CTM' yielded the recent threads of
people trying to explain this stuff to _me_, which you might find useful :)

         Charon@freethought.org
 http://members.home.net/tuathadedanann/

   "Unthinking respect for authority
    is the greatest enemy of truth."