Date:      Wed, 12 Nov 1997 23:00:48 -0600 (CST)
From:      Kevin Day <toasty@home.dragondata.com>
To:        sfra47@source.isd.state.in.us (Raymond L. Gilbert)
Cc:        joe@via.net, smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Heavily loaded SMP server

> Thus it was recorded by the prophets, Joe McGuckin said:
> >I`d like to talk to someone who is using their SMP machine for
> >heavy duty WWW serving, etc.
>
> Yeah so would I!  Heavy duty WWW serving seems to imply putting SMP in
> a *production* environment.  I've been running the SMP kernel for
> about a month now with few problems (none related to SMP code
> specifically), and I'd like to use it as a heavy-duty WWW server but
> I'm not sure that running -current on a production system is wise.
> Has anyone out there settled on a good, recent SNAP that could
> be used for heavy WWW traffic?

One of my machines is now running the 1108-SNAP version of the SMP kernel...
Dual Pentium/200's. It's currently running about 30 eggdrops with no
problem, for my users, and if it keeps running well this week, we're going
to try moving one of the heavier used web pages we host to it.
(www.mk4.com). The only problems we've had so far, are

1) Lots of programs are still expecting *.so.2.1 libraries, when all it has
are the 3.0's.

2) We had a terrible time getting NIS to work with a 2.x server and a 3.x
client. It turned out to be something to do with the libcrypt's, but I
never really figured it all out, it just works now.

3) analog takes *longer* to run on a SMP kernel than a standard kernel...
I'm still trying to figure that one out.

4) One user actually complained, because he thought gcc was broken, because
it was compiling so fast. :)

5) Now I have no excuse to go buy a dual P/II machine. :)

All these problems are 3.0 related, not SMP related though...

KEvin Day
DragonData