Date:      Fri, 25 Oct 1996 02:12:34 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John-Mark Gurney <jmg@nike.efn.org>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   kern/1887: problem when shutting down w/ serial console

>Number:         1887
>Category:       kern
>Synopsis:       serial line switches from 9600 to 57600 when shutting down to single user
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Release:        FreeBSD 2.2-960801-SNAP i386
>Environment:
nothing special but a serial console, running current's boot blocks w/
FORCED_COMCONSOLE as I do have a pci video card...  makes for quite a fun
thing to see a login prompt right below the bios status box :)

the serial console switches from the default of 9600 every where else up to
57600 when you shutdown to single user mode...  first time this happened I
thought it plain didn't work.. then second time I found out that is just sped
up the serial speed...

>How-To-Repeat:

put a serial console at 9600 on sio0/com1 and boot with -h or just plain serial
console...  after boot login and run "shutdown now" to get to single user mode
you will find that you will have to up the serial console speed to 57600 to
interract with the shell...

>Fix:

I really have no idea...