Date:      Fri, 11 Apr 2003 14:52:57 -0700
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        ian j hart <ianjhart@ntlworld.com>
Cc:        Jim Pazarena <paz@qcislands.net>
Subject:   Re: 4.8-Release disk3 and disk4

--IJpNTDwzlM2Ie8A6

On Fri, Apr 11, 2003 at 08:03:04PM +0100, ian j hart wrote:
>=20
> What exactly is "the effort involved". The packages are already built, ri=
ght?

Solving a more complicated[0] form of the nice little NP-complete
problem known as bin packing.

-- Brooks

[0] This variant adds a dependency graph problem so how large a package
is, depends on what other packages are already there.  It also requires
that you assign values to each package to determine which ones have the
highest priority since you can't fit them all on anything short of a
dual layer DVD (and I don't expect that to hold much longer).  I'd be
fairly suprised if you could find two people who gave the ranked
ordering of the importance of the seven thousand plus ports.

--=20

--IJpNTDwzlM2Ie8A6

--IJpNTDwzlM2Ie8A6--