Date:      Sun, 12 Sep 1999 19:17:05 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
To:        Doug@gorean.org (Doug)
Cc:        des@flood.ping.uio.no (Dag-Erling Smorgrav), hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to prevent motd including os info

> "Rodney W. Grimes" wrote:
> >
> > > [moving to -hackers]
> > [I'm going to loose the rest of this thread since I am not on hackers :-(]
>
> 	Shame on you. :)

The volume of mail became too high for my time a long while ago.  :-(

> > > "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net> writes:
>
> > Actually I would like _all_ the output from /etc/rc* to be avaliable
> > after boot.
>
> 	One of the things discussed on -hackers recently is my rc* (et al) cleanup
> effort. You can see the results at http://gorean.org/rcfiles/. If I can get
> the current set of patches committed the next step in my proposal is to
> change as many of the 'echo' statements as humanly possible to use 'logger'
> instead. This is somewhat controversial because it will (for some items)
> require moving 'logger' to /bin, but I think it's worth it.

I don't like that idea, don't get me wrong, it's not the moving of logger
to /bin that bothers me, it just seems like this is using the splitting
mall for what a ballpean hammer could do.

It dawned on me what can be done.  Look, we get all the kernel printf's
from the dmesg output saved in a buffer and pull that out later with
syslog, looks like we could just slip a pipe fitting into /dev/console
that copies all it's output into the mesgbuf as well, until we smack it
wth the ballpean and tell it to stop doing that (Either getty lanching the
login: on ttyv0 could cause this, or something at the end of /etc/rc).

What do you think of that idea?  I think this is what HPUX does, as I do
know I can get the complete console output from a boot on it.

> > This would be a big win for remote admining and trying
> > to figure out what went wrong during the last boot without having to
> > drive down and hook up a console of some form.  I know we could hang
> > serial consoles on all of them, but why spend money on hardware when
> > the problem can be solved with software :-).
>
> 	I agree, both that it would be a huge benefit for remote admins (I'm one
> too) and that there are some problems that a serial console doesn't solve
> where having a hard copy is your best bet (such as jr. asst. cow orker
> rebooted a machine he should not have, and now it's borked and no one knows
> why).

Been there, fixed that, and Jr's now missing his left pointer finger
so he only types ``eoo'' when he tries a reboot :-) :-)

> > >  fsck_output="$(/sbin/fsck -p)"
> > >  /sbin/mount -at nonfs
> > >  echo "${fsck_output}" >/var/run/fsck.boot
> > >
> > > but then you wouldn't be able to see the output while it runs. The
> > > only solution I can think of is the following:
> > >
> > >  fsck_output="$(/sbin/fsck -p | /bin/tee /dev/console)"
> > >  /sbin/mount -at nonfs
> > >  echo "${fsck_output}" >/var/run/fsck.boot
> > >
> > > but I don't expect people to be happy about moving tee(1) from
> > > /usr/bin to /bin.
>
> 	Another possible solution to this would be giving fsck a flag to
> copy it's
> output to a file, STDOUT, or what have you. Since the rest of the cases
> could be handled with 'logger' and/or redirction we wouldn't have to bring
> 'tee' into /bin.

Adding a flag to fsck to duplicate it's output is even worse than bringing
tee(1) to bin, it's putting tee(1) inside fsck(8) :-(.

--
Rod Grimes - KD7CAX - (RWG25)                    rgrimes@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net