Date:      Thu, 8 May 1997 11:25:47 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Alec Kloss <alec@d2si.com>
To:        dwolfe@zyga.com (Dan Wolfe)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Keeping a process running

Dan Wolfe is responsible for:
> From owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG Thu May  8 11:16:10 1997
> From: Dan Wolfe <dwolfe@zyga.com>
> To: "'questions@freebsd.org'" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
> Subject: Keeping a process running
> Date: Thu, 8 May 1997 11:18:02 -0400
> Sender: owner-questions@FreeBSD.ORG

> Hi everyone,
>
> I have a process called 'startslip' in FreeBSD that I want
> to periodically check using cron to make sure it is still
> running, and if it has stopped, to restart it.  Can anyone
> give ideas on the best way to accomplish this?
>
> -Dan

You could wrap another script around the staring of startslip:
	#!/bin/csh
	while (1)
	    startslip
	  end
which perhaps gives you the effect you want.  Of course, if something
goes horribly wrong with startslip so it exits immediately, you've
got a CPU killing infinite loop.

If you are using 'startslip' to start dip to dial in a slip
connection, I'd recommend smartening up the dip script to redial
automatically.