Date:      Thu, 23 Apr 1998 08:22:02 -0700
From:      Tamiji Homma <thomma@BayNetworks.COM>
To:        sos@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   re: Large IDE drive support added

Soren,

Soren> I've just added support for LBA mode addressing to the wd driver.
Soren> I works on "dangerously dedicated" drives, I'm not so certain on
Soren> fdisk partitioned drives YMMW...
Soren>
Soren> Enjoy, and let me know the results

I just picked up Maxtor DiamondMax 11.5G drive last night at Fry's.

I would like to try LBA mode on the drive.

If I install say, SNAP CD, do I need your LBA supported driver
(ie: boot floopy disk) to complete initial installation?

I tried 980222 SNAP last night, I can not get passed 8GB limit
(16383/16/63) with it.  When the board(FIC PA-2007) shows correct
disk geometry (22332/16/63) but when FreeBSD comes up saying
16383/16/63 and then it won't let me set new geometry... :(

I also tried (1401/255/63) LBA mode but the same result.

I guess I would have to have a complete boot kit set
(fdisk, disklabel etc) with your driver in the kernel.

By the way, the driver is really fast!  It's actually faster
than my 7200rpm SCSI x 2 ccd drive.  I would love to utilize
all the space available not just first 8GB :)

I run -current(a few days old) on other machine.  I could use
the machine to install -current on 11.5G drive.  I tried that
last night but I could not build release directory with various
compile errors...

Any suggestion?

Thanks

Tammy