Date:      Sun, 14 May 2000 23:27:04 +0200
From:      Jos Visser <josv@osp.nl>
To:        Randy Bush <randy@psg.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Wavelan 802.11 with encryption

WEP encryption (default with the Silver Wavelan card) supports a 64-bit
key. That's strong enough for me. Anyone who's interested enough in my
stuff to come over to my house, tap into the 802.11 traffic and feed it
to a sufficiently strong computer to do a brute force attack on the 64
bit key has plenty of other (cheaper and easier) opportunities to
retrieve whatever they want.

Remember: a 64 bit key (given a sufficiently strong enough algorithm)
means

2^64	= 18446744073709551616 possible keys.

Given a computer that can try 100 billion keys per seconds, I would need
approximately 184467440 seconds to search the entire keyspace. You'd
expect to need to search only half the keyspace, so 92233720 seconds. At
3600 seconds per hour, this means 25620 hours, at 24 hours in a day,
this means 1067 days, which is almost three years (roundoff errors due
to the use of bc).

Now, believe me, I would be willing to tell you almost everything dating
from three years and further back...

++Jos

--
Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is mystery. Today is a gift, that's
why we call it 'present'.