Date:      Fri, 18 Oct 1996 10:26:16 +0100
From:      Robin Melville <robmel@nadt.org.uk>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   autodial PPP gateway where IP is negotiated?

Dear FreeBSD people,

I've been struggling with this for a while, and would appreciate some advice.

We want to set up a FreeBSD host to route packets from our network of
FreeBSD hosts and PCs to the internet via a dial-up line:-

+----------+   dial-up  +--------------+  Internal network
| Internet |----~~~~----| gateway host |------+------+---...
|          |            |   (ijppp)    |      |      |
+----------+            +--------------+     Unix    PC  ...

Our ISP uses negotiated IP.

I've carefully followed the instructions in the FAQ and Man pages, but
always get "No route to host" and "DNS lookup failure" messages from the
other machines in the network, and the gateway doesn't dial. We have
successfully established a manual connection with ppp on the gateway.

We run "routed" on the unix hosts.

Any suggestions would be very gratefully recieved.

Best wishes,

Robin.

Robin Melville, Addiction & Forensic Information Service
Nottingham Alcohol & Drug Team (Extn. 49178)
Vox: +44 (0)115 952 9478  Fax: +44 (0)115 952 9421
Email: robmel@nadt.org.uk
WWW:   http://www.innotts.co.uk/~nadt/