Date:      Mon, 27 May 2002 21:45:24 -0400
From:      Andrew J Caines <A.J.Caines@halplant.com>
To:        FreeBSD LIST <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.Org>
Subject:   Re: Fwd: FreeBSD 4.5-RELEASE and a "RAMdisk?" [May-07-2002]

Peter,

> I asked back on May 7th about how to set up a RAMdisk on FreeBSD.

FreeBSD has (at least) two types of VM backed filesytems - mfs and md. See
the man pages for details.

I use mfs via a single lines in my fstab:

/dev/ad0s1b  /tmp      mfs  rw,async,noatime,-s=65536	    0	   0
/dev/ad0s1b  /var/run  mfs  rw,async,noatime,-s=2048	    0	   0

> Does the online handbook have some good write-ups about how to make it
> work?

I quick look through the contents should have brought section 12.4,
"Network, Memory, and File-Based Filesystems" to your attentition. It only
mentions md and is brief.

-Andrew-