Date:      Sun, 15 Nov 1998 16:37:30 +0900
From:      MIHIRA Sanpei Yoshiro <sanpei@sanpei.org>
To:        jkh@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        asami@FreeBSD.ORG, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /usr/X11R6/bin permission problem

>>   I found /usr/X11R6/bin permission problem....
>>
>> 	1) install only bin distribution by boot.flp
>> 	2) reboot
>> 	3) install X11R6 programs by /sysinstall
>>
>> After install, /usr/X11R6/bin directory permission is 700:
>
>I'm aware of this one but didn't have time to fix it before release.
>Basically, the problem revolves around the way that sysinstall does
>"fixups" - if you're doing a full installation, all the fixups get run
>once and the ones pertinent to XFree86 are executed as expected.  If
>you add *only* XFree86 as an afterthought, however, then the fixups
>don't get run (they only run when bin is extracted) and you get the
>behavior above.  What needs to happen is something closer to a callout
>list mechanism where various release bits add callouts for the
>appropriate fixups.  I'll do this after 3.0 goes out the door (so we'll
>at least have it for the follow-on snapshots and next release) but
>didn't want to risk it beforehand.

  It's nearly 2.2.8-RELEASE time.
  I check latest releng installer, 2.2.7-19981110-SNAP from
releng22.freebsd.org.

  But this problem is still there.
----------
  And this time, I tested below steps.

	1) install ony bin, src/sys with boot.flp
	2) reboot
	3) First install only VGA16 server
		only created /usr/X11R6/bin direcotry
		permission of /usr/X11R6/bin is 700

drwx------   2 root  wheel  512 Nov 15 15:27 bin
    ~~~~~~
	4) and restart sysinstall
	5) install Xlib.tgz and Xbin.tgz

drwxrwxr-x  2 root  wheel  2048 Nov 15 15:30 bin
 ~~~~~~~~~ corrected??, who do??		<-------!!!
drwx------  3 root  wheel   512 Nov 15 15:31 include
drwx------  4 root  wheel   512 Nov 15 15:31 lib
    ~~~~~~

	6) restart sysinstall
	7) install Xprog.tgz

drwxrwxr-x   2 root  wheel  2048 Nov 15 15:30 bin
drwxrwxr-x   4 root  wheel   512 Nov 15 15:45 include
drwxrwxr-x   4 root  wheel  1024 Nov 15 15:44 lib

** umask for root is 22(I think default setting)

  BTW, XFree86 files on releng22[1] is past name order. We can't
test about XFree86 files.  I renamed these file locally. I hope to
refreah these. (Yes, it will need to change to XFree86 3.3.3 soon :-)

[1] XFree86 files on releng22
ftp://releng22.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releng22/XF86332/